Monday, May 23, 2011

Coming Out Into The Light...



I have an aunt Suzi. She is my fun, crazy (in a good way) aunt. She is one of the people in my life who has had an impact on me. I was thinking about something she said to me once when I was going through a very difficult time. I was struggling with the changes happening in my life and doubting my ability to handle things. I will never forget what she said to me and I won't be able to write it the way she told it but I'm going to try.

She likened the life I had been living to living in a cave. The cave was dark, it was cold and it was damp. It was an awful environment. But I had survived in the cave and knew I could continue to survive in it. Once I had emerged out of the cave and come into the light, it was frightening. I couldn't see well and I wanted to go back in my cave. Despite knowing how awful it was in there, I had security in knowing I had and could survive in there. Staying out in the light scared me because I was not used to it. I didn't know anything different. And I wasn't sure how I would survive or if I even could survive out of the cave.

I am thinking about that today. Glad she told me that and that I chose to stay out of the cave and trust in myself, the Lord and others that I could survive and be in a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment