Thursday, September 29, 2011

A New Opportunity

I've started a new opportunity that I am so very excited about. I started last month as a Domestic Violence and Rape Crisis Advocate with the local women's shelter. This role entails me going on call for 7 days straight at a time. When a woman (men too but it is rarely a man) is hurt whether through Domestic Violence or Rape, I will be dispatched to go advocate for her, whether on scene, at the hospital or over the phone. I will help her with paperwork, get her info for the shelter and get her info she needs for protective orders, help with medical costs, temporary housing, outreach programs, etc. I'm currently doing Domestic Violence only. I have to attend a Rape Crisis training in November.

I'm excited to be doing this and to be able to work with an agency that once helped me.

No comments:

Post a Comment