Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Transformation Tuesday

I really like Instagram.  Mainly because I like seeing what all my friends and family are up to.  I posted my first "Transformation Tuesday" photo today.   As I was creating the picture I suddenly thought what it would be like if I could post one that reflected the transformation that has occurred in the most important areas.   My heart and my mind.
I knew I was overweight.  It's kinda hard to notice 5 or 10 pounds but 84 pounds in under two years is obvious.   Right???   I was never embarrassed about my weight.   Probably because I was dealing with much bigger things in my life.   Like living in an abusive relationship, for starters.
The transformation that has taken place inside, by far,  out weighs the pounds lost.   If we pulled out a scale, the kind where you can compare the weight of two objects at the same time (I don't know the technical name and am not in the mood to Google it!) and put the pounds, inches and fat lost on one side and then put each of the things I've let go of,  healed from,  changed,  forgiven (of myself and others), accounted for,  apologized for, accepted and overcome...I think the scales would tip to the side holding all the change that has occurred on the inside.
I did a lot of things to change.   But tonight,  I want to acknowledge that the true,  deep, final, healing is because of my brother.   Because of His atonement,  I was and am able to take each of those things and not place them on a scale to be measured but on His shoulders,  for Him to bear.   I learned the atonement is so much more than for transgression.   It is for everything.   Our good moments.   Our agonizing ones.   I had to do a lot of work.   As I went through the outreach program at the shelter,  met with a therapist,  my Bishop, stayed close to my family and friends, and started to allow myself to heal I found that He was there,  waiting for me to hand it over for Him to bear.  He had always been there.  I learned, I changed,  and as I did,  I healed.  
I still have trials.   They aren't easy.  But a peace runs down the center of my storm.  Because of Him. That peace is how I know I will be Ok.   "Life is not about weathering the storm.  But learning how to dance in the rain." I slowly learned how to dance in the rain, on my own. I continued to grow and heal. Now, I'm glad I have a partner in life to dance in the rain with.   Despite what ever kind of storm we may face,  I know he wakes up each day and chooses to dance with me.  

On the left: 2008 @ 264 pounds.  Six months after this photo was taken I filed for divorce and started my journey from being a victim of domestic violence, to a survivor and finally, a conqueror. 

On the right: 2013 @ 182 pounds.  

No comments:

Post a Comment